Hey there Ballakelly family!!
What a week on the farm!! The maternity ward is filling up fast, just today we have had 3 calves and 10 lambs. ICU has one little guy so Alice has him in by the fire.
So this week’s blog will be short and sweet just like me!
I wanted to give you all an update on the mummy pig situation, I am over the sty to write that the campaign has really gained trotters!
- DDD – are taking 200kg of Manx sow trim and shipping it off island on Fri to turn into hotdogs
- The community farm are going to adopt a Mummy pig, this has been exciting as all parties have worked together to allow this to happen
- I am told that local butchers have been in touch with the meat plant to enquire about Manx sow trim
- We have sold 60 packs of SOS sausages to you guys on top of the regular 100lb a week
- Some local barley/wheat has come forward to try to help reduce the feed we have to import
All these things make me feel better as the situation has been heartbreaking.
On my rounds tonight I did a mummy pig head count, there were 48, so the SOS campaign has generated a market/home for 4, this takes me down to 44, I need to get down to 30, so 14 to go! Come on Manxies we may be a small island but we can make big changes if we put our minds to it.
I think the black fog is lifting but we are not out of the dark yet:
One idea that has been debated over a few cuppa’s this week is to create a SOS charity sausage. The idea will be that for every 3 packs of sausage I sell at full price , £4, the 4thpack will go to charity. So for example if we made 100 sausages, sold 75 then 25 would be donated to a good cause, for example the food bank to feed people who need a bit of help. I think this would be great if we could get this system up and running. This would give me a long-term solution for the Mummy pigs. On that happy feel good note what can you guys do:
- Buy some more SOS sausages – Plain Sausages
- Get a friend to join the campaign
- If buying other local sausages ask if they contain Manx Sow
It is national pie week this week so how about buy some sow meat and make yourself a pork pie! If not we will be making some so you can order here:
I am off to eat my Sunday roast now, toodles til next week when I will update you on the progress with the Mummy Pigs.